Please review the document called "READY TO ADOPT?" in the section below.
1. Download and print the "ADOPTION APPLICATION" in the section below.
2. Complete, Scan and Return the application to us. If you don't have a scanner, you can scan it at a FedEx/Kinko's copy center, or use a free app called SCANNABLE (Android or IOS). All applications must be in a .PDF form, completed in full, and signed. Applications that have been converted to another program, modified, or are incomplete will not be considered. If you have technical challenges, please contact us for help: email@example.com
1. Application Review: Once the fully completed Adoption Application is received, a member of Akita Angels will review the application to determine if any dogs in rescue are a fit for you and your family. If you are interested in a particular dog and we determine that the dog is not suitable for you and your family, we will contact you to discuss whether another dog in rescue is a better fit for you and your family.
2. Phone Interview: This allows us both to ask and obtain additional information about the potential adopter or dog to determine if it's a match.
3. Schedule Appointment: Meet the prospective dog(s). If potential adopter has another dog, we require that dogs meet during the adoption appointment to determine compatibility.
4. Home Check
5. Execution of Adoption Agreement
Akita Angels reserves the right to:
1. Request additional information - viewing a copy of your Rental/Lease Agreement, HOA's CC&R's with relation to "animals" and "breed ban" or "size restrictions", Homeowner’s Insurance Certificate, or contacting any person that you've listed on the Application.
2. To approve or deny an application, for any reason, at any time, and without explanation. An incomplete application or application containing false information will result in an automatic denial.
3. To adopt or refuse adoption of any dog to any person or family at any time, for any reason, and without explanation.
4. To modify our Adoption Process, Adoption Application, or Adoption Agreement at any time, for any reason, and without explanation.
Follow the link "Begin Adoption Process" to download an Application.
Send your completed Adoption Application to the address shown on the application or mail it to:
P.O. Box 221353
Santa Clarita, CA 91322
Current figures estimate that, each day, more than 10,000 dogs are euthanized in the United States. Conservatively, that's 3,650,000 dogs each year.
Rescued Akitas are not broken, in fact, most people don't know that many Akitas in rescues have real pedigrees or are the offspring of pedigreed dogs. Every key member of Akita Angels is experienced with the Akita breed and many of us have multiple-Akitas in the same house. Some have packs that are comprised of rescued Akitas, other breeds of dogs, and even cats! We love and understand the breed, and even if you adopt from another rescue, public shelter, or private party, we are here to help. At No Cost to You. Are you Ready to Adopt? Here are a few things to know:
1. We promote responsible Dog Ownership, and Akitas and similar large breeds are not a good fit for everyone or every household. Responsible ownership begins with learning about the breed, specific characteristics and traits, energy level, typical lifespan, etc. If you have cats or small dogs, a 100-150 lb dog with a high prey-drive is not a responsible choice. If you are allergic to dog hair or pet dander, a dog that sheds heavily is probably not right for you.
2. Most "dog" problems start on the "other end of the leash." There is a wide gap between "dog language" and "people language" and most often the dog simply does not know what is expected of him/her. Inconsistency with the house rules is another problem. One day, a certain behavior is OK, the next day it's not and the dog is punished. Who wouldn't be confused? If you (or your Akita) need training, reach out to us. We want to try and help.
3. We expect owners to make a lifetime commitment to the dog. It's YOUR responsibility to create a good relationship between you and the dog and trust us, you will be handsomely rewarded. Dogs are the one species that asks for so little, but will give unconditional and undying love and loyalty. Dogs that are not trained, socialized, and that are kept outside 24/7 will make mistakes or can behave badly. These dogs will pay for their owner's mistakes, inconsistent rules and laziness, with their lives.
If you are 65+, you are eligible to adopt an Akita through our “Seniors for Seniors” Adoption Program where you can adopt an Adult Akita, age 7+, for a nominal adoption donation.
Your new Akita family member will go home with a new Martingale collar, American-made Mendota leash, and the first month’s supply of high-quality dog food. Of course, you also get no-cost coaching and support for the lifetime of your new companion. All Akitas are health-checked, spayed/neutered, micro-chipped (includes lifetime registration) and will have current vaccinations and a rabies certificate. Future health care, including vaccinations and/or rabies vaccination and certificate, are at the Adopter's expense. This program does not include annual/bi-annual licensing through your local animal control agency.